Saturday, May 10, 2008

deliciousness

A note about some of the delicious foods I've been fortunate enough to munch on:

The biggest, juiciest, stickiest, freshest dates I've ever tasted in my whole life. I had no idea life could be so beautiful.


Dragonfruit - I think ours wasn't ripe yet, because the majority of it was flavorless. But the center had a subtle sweetness that was quite nice. Also, I liked the millions of black seeds because they gave each bite nice texture.






Raboutan - another Asian fruit that looks like a beautiful sea creature







Tamarind - it's tangy and yummy, despite it's strange exterior. The name tamarind is actually from Arabic -- "tamar hind" means Indian dates. Ya learn something new everyday.




Cubes of medium soft cheese. What made this special was the whole red peppercorn sprinkled on the cheese. I thought they were tiny pomegranate seeds, but when I bit into spicy goodness, I was pleasantly surprised by the chorus of exclamations in my mouth.

A local fish called hammour. At the hotel, they cooked it up with a melange of spices I cannot identify. Our proximity to South Asia comes through in the food.

M ate perfectly poached eggs in a saffron sauce that she can't stop talking about.

I ate lobster for the second time in my life. Again, I was disappointed, but I'm hoping that it was poorly prepared both times I tried it. (The evening after I wrote this, M and I went to a restaurant called Bu Tafish in Abu Dhabi and I finally got to taste delicious Omani lobster. It was grilled, and it was fabulous. I ordered a fish called Sultan Ibrahim. I was pleased --)


hmmm....what else?

Honestly, I think the dates were the best part.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,
All that cuisine sounds yummy. Your pics look so perfect, like a gourmet cookbook. I think we tried dried Dragon Fruit from Trader Joes, we threw the rest away because we never quit got used to the taste. So after you get back in the states, you know where to find it, dried anyway, lol. Suktin Habibti(sp)
Smiles and Hugs - Lizanne

May 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Rania said...

Kathy,

I finally caught up on your blog. You are a magnificent writer and i love your photos. I feel like I am right there with you. I can't wait to read more.

Lots of love,

Rania

May 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i send myself in a box to you? dragon fruit is deleesh in taiwan....especially in fruit smoothies....beautiful vibrant hue. i miss you...hope all is well :)

May 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

dear anonymous,
please send your measurements right away and i'll have a shipping box made just your size.

love,
kathy

May 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger memira said...

wow! they have dragonfruit, rambutan, and tamarind in dubai.. fruits that i love! asmara loves rambutan.. and the tamarind when its not red yet, still green, we use it to make sour soup.... really good.. sinigang... next time you are in dubai, find my fellow pinoys and ask them where you can get sinigang.. get fish sinigang.. really yummy...

June 8, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home